February 7, 2010

Homemade Tortilla Chips and Guacamole + City of God OST = a brazillian transport from winter


                      PLAY VIDEO ABOVE BEFORE READING
                                      (now let's kick off)

Avocados were 5 for $5 in Whole Foods (@ Columbus Circle location) yesterday, and in the dead of winter, I couldn't help myself. sooo I got in line behind everyone else who realized it, and loaded a bag full of the green stuff.

While this can be classified as superbowl food, it was more the sale, and a want for Chipotle that put me in the mood to make chips and guacamole.

And with Seu Jorge from the City of God OST in the background, scent of lime and cilantro in the air, its a pleasant little something to keep me excited about spring/sunny weather  right around the corner...ish..not..well, its pretty warm in my apartment. 1 outta 2 ain't bad.

Homemade Tortilla Chips and Guacamole
(adapted from savory sweet life.)
and my roommate for the chips :)















(I bought all ingredients for recipe, but since I'm not having a party or anything, I cut down the amount by about half for now because I like fresh made guac.)

2 tomatoes                              pack of corn tortillas
1/2 jalepeno                            non stick veg. oil spray
1/3 of an onion
1/4 cup cilantro
pinch salt
1 ripe avocado
1/2 lime for its juice

- chop first 4 ingredients. leave on cutting board or plate. preheat oven to 400.















- mash avocado in bowl with fork. then gently fold in chopped ingredients with spoon. add lime juice last. it can mask all of the other flavors if you add to much. squeeze a bit. fold. taste. add to your liking.















- take about 5 or 6 tortilla, and cut into fours on a plate.















- lightly sprinkle cookie sheet with fine layer of salt. then place the soon to be chips on top of it. spray lightly with non stick spray. if you've got a thing for salty chip, add light sprinkle of salt before baking.
bake for 7- 10 minutes, pop em out, and you have homemade chips that you could bag and sell to your friends its so easy.















dump chips on plate and serve to guac lover. I like to eat mine..yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment