February 9, 2010

Banana Bread + Fried Green Tomatoes OST = a slice of southern goo


                      PLAY VIDEO ABOVE WHILE READING
                                     (now let's kick off)

For those of you who aren't familiar with the work of Thomas Newman yet, I hope this song from the Fried Green Tomatoes OST can be a gateway for you to find and enjoy more of him.  He has been one of my favorite composers for as long as I can remember, and I'm sure you'll be hearing more of him from me soon enough.

--and I can't talk about fried green tomatoes without thinking of this scene. truly the joy of cooking.


Newman's music much like this recipe, is delicate and full at the same time.
Go with me here, but its very reminiscent to waking up to a pressureless morning. The "soft kind of sunny" shining in all over the place, that it makes the whole place luminous. all while you're walking barefoot down the hall because you're following the light smell of something baking.
and oh yes, in this case, its banana bread.

Through college especially, banana bread always had this effect on me-- you know. makes you slow down a bit to enjoy it. Which is why I love packing a piece or two with me during a hectic day.
I used to think that it would be the perfect respite from a long day before diving into homework, but that was just torture.  I'm not the biggest fan of the reward system. if I want to enjoy something now, I generally just do.

Banana Bread
(adapted from Elise's Simply Recipes ...my first favorite food blogger)

3 to 4 very ripe bananas
1/3 cup melted earth balance
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg OR 1 helping egg replacer
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1/4 tsp cloves (suggested)
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour

- in a bowl, mash bananas with fork. pre heat over to 350.
- mix in butter, sugar, egg or egg replacer, vanilla, cinnamon, and other spices.
- mix in baking soda, salt and add flour last.

- with a small slice of butter, lightly butter loaf pan with fingers. then pour mixture in.

- bake for 40-45 minutes if you like it with a deliciously moist banana-y center. cool just enough to serve warm and sliced.
I occasionally like adding chocolate chips or walnuts in the mixture. but I always like eating mine with a soft smear of peanut butter on top.







1 comment:

  1. Such a creative and awesome blog. I'm on the road right now, so I can't try any of these recipes out, but please keep it up! Loving it!

    -Dylan R. Hauck

    ReplyDelete